Presenter: James G. Porcelli, Esquire
Attorney Porcelli is a shareholder with the Webb Law Firm, which specializes in IP law. He has been a frequent speaker on these topics in the over 20 years he has been practicing IP law.
He will provide an overview of patents, trademarks and copyrights in terms understandable to the non-specialist, along with options a non-specialist may have for a client seeking advice in these areas. Included will be brief explanations on the processes for acquiring federal protection through patents, trademarks and copyrights and how you know if you need such protection. He will also address the “First-to-file” patent rules that will go into effect on March 16 of this year.
Overview of Patents
- How do you know if you need a patent?
- Pitfalls to Patentability
- Costs for patents
- How does someone infringe a patent?
- The new “first-to-file” patent rules
Overview of Trademarks
- Federal registration vs. Common law rights
- How to select a trademark
- Pitfalls for Trademarks
- Costs for Trademarks
Overview of Copyrights
- Federal registration or not?
- Costs for copyrights